Thursday, August 23

Art Class

Claire and I go way back. Our moms are best friends. We used to sing into banana microphones and visit the Croc Park on our birthdays! We also love art and studied advertising together. Claire recently left the ad biz to start her own Art Therapy business. A class or session involves painting and drawing, and writing and talking about what you see and feel. Claire invited me to join a sesh a while back but I was kinda hesitant! I love art but I can be shy in groups, especially if it involves sharing personal stuff. Fortunately, my sweet friend said I could come along on my own and it was awesome. She said she'd never seen anyone be so "explosive on paper" before - ha! I've always loved going wild with colours and textures. Just looking at pallets of paint makes me happy!

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
To begin with I had to draw a person. I drew an eleven year old girl with her hands behind her back. Apparently that can be quite significant but I just didn't know how to draw hands! Then I drew a seventeen year old boy wearing ripped jeans and a flannel shirt. Grungy - quelle surprise!
PhotobucketPhotobucket
After that we did paintings using string dipped in black paint. Claire asked me to find a picture within the black and fill the gaps with colour. At first I thought, flip, I've drawn the fiery peaks of Mordor! So I looked again and decided, "snow-capped mountains" they will be!
Photobucket
Photobucket
It really looked more like a crazy, green fire. Not really one for the mantle!
Photobucket
Claire did this amazing dragon/wolf and wrote an epic poem about him.
Photobucket
I also did a "Waterfall" piece.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Claire did this pretty, striking piece.
Photobucket
It was such a special night. Thank you Claire.
_____________________________________________________________

You can find Claire's biz, "Mending Arts" on Facebook and she has a website.
You can do these sessions in groups encompassing 2-6 people.
Claire also works with schools and rehab centres. She is amazingly kind and passionate.
There are so many benefits to doing an Art Therapy session.
I had a wonderful time and I'm inspired to paint again. x
blog comments powered by Disqus