Thursday, January 21

Thurston Moore on being a husband and a dad

Tonight, I read an interview that Spin magazine did with Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore. Kim and him are just the coolest couple ever. He said some real sweet things about being a husband and a dad. I dunno, maybe another Sonic Youth fan out there might find this interesting.

You have a famously great marriage, which is virtually unheard of for a rock star, particularly when the spouse is also a bandmate. What's your secret?
There's no secret. We've never sold each other out on anything. I can easily follow the allure of wanting to go out and be with the boys, and play industrial noise and smoke pot and drink, but nothing replaces the reality of our relationship. I can't trade that for anything. I can't think of how or where I'd be without Kim's influence. And we're like any couple that's been together for close to 30 years. There's a genuine psychophysical connection. Sometimes I feel things happening in me, and I know that something's going on with her. When you're married and you have that kind of connection, you become really spiritually, psychologically connected. We grew up together, in a way.

You're also a father to 13-year-old Coco. How do you juggle all of that?

Well the husband/father thing is primary. And it gets problematic, because I get asked to do a lot [outside the band]: "Will you play with me at the Hook?" "Can you fly to this little experimental music festival in Europe and play with these guys?" And it's these guys that I would love to spend the weekend playing with -- "Yeah, I'll do it!" And before I know it, every weekend for two months is me bouncing around -- and that's not cool. I'm not a traveling salesman. I can't do this, I'm not a single man. So in the last couple years, I've really put the kibosh on that, because I saw it really interfering with my home relationship. I'm not gonna walk away from that just to play noise with a bunch of dudes in Belgium.

0 comments: